Tuesday 27 March 2012

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of music magazines) FINAL

As my magazine is a rock music magazine, I felt that I should use some of the design on my front cover as other rock magazines as the front cover is where you need to attract people so it is important to have a good looking front cover. I chouse the most successful and well known magazine music, Kerrang!, for my inspiration on the front cover. Kerrang! uses black, red, white and yellow as its main colour pallete, in my magazine I used the same colour pallette, apart from the colour yellow as I didnt think there was enough on my cover to spread between 4 colours to a good effect. Another way which I was inspired by Kerrang! magazine was with the usage of sub titles and then a small description of article down the left hand side on the page, above the title. This gives the reader a good idea of what is in the magazine without revealing too much. The main cover line of this magazine is also similarly represented too mine, a qoute is givin underneath a slanted title. This quote gives the reader an idea of the attitude of the artist or the content of the interview/article. There is also a banner at the bottom of this magazine, as their is similarly in mine, this gives readers who aren't already attracted by the content of the magazine further information and more advertisement. Fans of the bands listed in this banner may now opt to buy the magazine. As well as this for my double page spread I also took Kerrang as my inspiration. Again I used the same colour pallette of red white and black that is often used throughout Kerrang! magazine. I also used small caption boxes that I saw on Kerrang! as these help explain the picture and can give a comical edge to the magazine and entertain the reader. I also had the main writing of the article on one page, and a photo of the model taking up the whole of the other page, this is a formula often used in Kerrang! also. With the contents page I took NME magazine as inspiration because I didn't want my magazine to seem just like a clone of Kerrang! I wanted to aim it at a group of people who are interested a lot in new music and trying new things, and NME is a lot about advertising new bands, so I took them as inspiration too. For example my contents page is similar to NME contents pages I have studied by the fact that the page numbers and listings are down the right hand side of the page, with titles seperating articles into sections to make it easier to find what you want, as well as page numbers being highlighted in red so they stand out against the white writing. Also the red white and black colour scheme is used in NME too, showing it is a successful and clever scheme to use, as the big magazines use it, so I decided it would be wise to use it as well.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment